Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ron Weasley (Please Notice Me)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two comes out in the US this Friday.  Ryan and I (and my brother, who helped us out with guitar) are huge Harry Potter fans.  HUGE.  We figured that in honor of the final movie in the series (tear!) being released, we would post this little video.  I, like many awkward girls around the world, identify a lot with Hermione Granger.  I, too, was a mousy little bookworm when I was younger, though my nose was buried in Harry Potter books rather than Hogwarts: A History.  I had an epic crush on my best guy friend in high school (Ryan) who seemed completely oblivious, so the Ron and Hermione story always resonated with me.  The song takes place during Half-Blood Prince, during that awful time for Hermione (and subsequently Harry) when Ron is dating Lavender.  I have always felt a deep connection to this love story, so much so that this song practically wrote itself.  When I was cheering for Hermione, on some level, I was also cheering for myself.  The lessons I learned from those incredible books will be with me for a lifetime.  J.K. Rowling's characters are so vibrant that they seem to take on a life of their own, and I know I'm not alone when I say that I cherished them almost as if they were my friends.  We would like to dedicate this song to J.K. Rowling as a thank you for the beautiful world she created, a world that helped us escape from our own, and the characters that we will carry in our hearts forever.

Lyrics behind the jump:

I know that this is a cliche
A nerd's best friend captures her heart
But its clear to me we belong together
In spite of our quite rocky start

When I first met you on the train
I said you had dirt on your nose
But after you saved me from that troll
My love for you began to grow

We've gone on adventures, life threatening and all
On every occasion you never let me fall
I love you more than all my textbooks and grades
Oh, Godric Gryffindor help me be brave

*You must have me under the Imperius Curse
Cuz I just can't look away
Day after day I see you smile
And I wanna say

Ron Weasley, why won't you notice me?
Ron Weasley, why can't you see?
I know you slack off and you're sometimes a jerk
But I'll always help you with your homework
Harry Potter may be The Boy Who Lived
But you're the only boy I wanna live with, Ron Weasley*

Your big blue eyes and freckled nose
Are so darn cute I lose my head
You're cooler than all of your brothers combined
It even drives me crazy when your ears turn red

I know sometimes it gets you down
You want more than just to follow Harry along
But in my eyes you outshine them all
And "Weasley Is Our King" is more than just a song

I may not be pretty like Lavender Brown
But everyone knows I'm the smartest in town
If you were in trouble, if you needed help
I'd take on Lord Voldemort all by myself

* Chorus repeats
Ron I know we always disagree
But I wish I could Accio your arms around me
Give me Veritaserum and you'll see
From the bottom of my heart you're the only one for me
Cuz Viktor's really "Krummy", McLaggen was a dummy,
Harry's like a brother, and I don't want any other

Just Ron Weasley, please notice me
Ron Weasley, open your eyes and see
I know you slack off and you're sometimes a jerk
But I'll always help you with your homework
Harry Potter may be The Boy Who Lived
But you're the only boy I wanna live with, Ron Weasley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!